The visually stunning Audi Sport Quattro Concept may indeed be production bound.
Sport Quattro Concept
As we all know, Audi tends to flip the switch "on" and then back "off" all the time when it comes to plug-in vehicles, so for a change, we're gonna have to side with the naysayers on this one.
While some speculate (even claim to have confirmed) the Sport Quattro Concept is headed for production within a few years, we say nope, ain't gonna work out that way.
Autocar reports it like this:
"Audi will launch a series of top-end image-building cars based on recent concepts, such as a new Audi Quattro and off-beat Audi Nanuk supercar, in order to stretch its brand appeal and strengthen Audi's image as a maker of ultra-desirable cars."
Then, Autocar says this:
"Although neither concept vehicle has been confirmed for production..."
Audi Sport Quattro Interior
See? There's even a conflicting message even within a single article.
Truth is, we'd love for Audi to put the plug-in hybrid Sport Quattro into production, but we just don't believe it'll ever happen - the "bottom line" business decision reason to build this car just doesn't make practical sense to us.
Here's what we'll miss out on - but it is fun to see what could have been:
- Twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 pairs with an electric motor to crank out a total of 700 horsepower
- V-8 engine produces 560 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque
- Electric motor puts out 150 horsepower and 295 lb-ft.
- ZF-supplied eight-speed automatic
- Top speed over 190 mph
- 0 to 62 mph in 3.7 seconds.
- Electric-only range of up to 31 miles
- Curb weight of 4,079 pounds