Outlander PHEV Wins "Car of the Year Japan Innovation Award"
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is really starting to rack up the awards now.
Outlander PHEV Battery Pack
This latest one "recognizes the car with the most innovative technologies that contribute to environment, safety, and other mobility issues."
Presented by the Car of the Year Japan committee, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV won the "Car of the Year Japan 2013-2014's Innovation Award."
The Car of the Year Japan committee based its selection of the Outlander PHEV on the following:
- (The Outlander PHEV) proposes a new way of using a vehicle by skillfully combining the advantages of SUV and plug-in hybrid EV (electric vehicle) technologies.
- Achievement of a combination of high fuel efficiency with a higher level of driving performance.
- A solution for the disadvantage of short cruising ranges of EVs while still working as EV through range extension.
- Superbness of ability to charge to the batteries of the vehicle by itself as well as high output from the high-capacity battery
Plug-In. SUV. 4WD. Vast Cargo Hold - A Winning Combination Apparently
In terms of NEDC specs, the Outlander PHEV impresses:
- Maximum driving range : 824 km (512 miles)
- Range in Pure EV Mode : 52 km (32 miles) - look for it to get about 20-22 miles of range on US/EPA standard
- Fuel consumption : 1.9 l/100 km
- CO2 emissions : 44 g/km
- Maximum speed : 170 km/h (105 mph – where legal)
- Weight: 1,810 kg (3,990lbs)
- 5 hours – normal charging (230V / 10A)
- 30 minutes – quick charging / up to 80% (CHAdeMO standard)