The plug-in hybrid system that propels the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has been chosen as the recipient of the "RJC Technology of the Year 2014" award by the Automotive Researchers' and Journalists' Conference of Japan .
Diagram Of Outlander PHEV
The highly successful Outlander PHEV, with more orders than Mitsubishi can dream to fulfill at the moment, was awarded for these reasons:
The Plug-in Hybrid EV system features a high-capacity drive battery, front and rear electric motors, a generator, and a gasoline engine for the generation of power as well as for driving at high speeds, delivering hybrid driving that provides a longer all-electric cruising range and is powered mainly by the electric motors.
The Plug-in Hybrid EV system automatically selects an optimum driving mode for the driving conditions and remaining battery charge from three drive modes:
1. EV Drive Mode 2. Series Hybrid Mode 3. Parallel Hybrid Mode
The Plug-in Hybrid EV system was highly acclaimed for its high level of environmental performance, smooth acceleration, as well functioning with the quietness of a luxury vehicle.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Cutaway
In terms of NEDC specs, the Outlander PHEV impresses:
- Maximum driving range : 824 km (512 miles)
- Range in Pure EV Mode : 52 km (32 miles) - look for it to get about 20-22 miles of range on US/EPA standard
- Fuel consumption : 1.9 l/100 km
- CO2 emissions : 44 g/km
- Maximum speed : 170 km/h (105 mph – where legal)
- Weight: 1,810 kg (3,990lbs)
- 5 hours – normal charging (230V / 10A)
- 30 minutes – quick charging / up to 80% (CHAdeMO standard)