Old EV Print Ad
Here's your electric vehicle history facts of the day:
- The first electric vehicles were invented in the mid-19th century
- Electric vehicles held the land speed record until approximately 1900
- At the turn of the century, electric vehicles held approximately 38% of US market share (whereas ICE had only 22%, but steam controlled 40%)
- Sales of electric vehicles hit their early peak in 1912
- The electric vehicles downfall was due to the rise of gas stations and the construction of actual roads, which allowed vehicles to travel more than a few miles per day.
- Domestic oil findings further pushed ICE to the lead
Whereas ICE had to overcome electric back then, today EVs must rise up to overtake ICE. We're confident it'll happen someday, but will we still be around to witness the great overtaking?