In the month of August, 8 plug-in vehicles set new highs for sales in 2013, leading to a month when total EV sales exceeded 11,000 (11,073 is our "official" figure) units for the first time ever.
Chevy Volt Leads the Plug-In Charge Past 11,000
Here's a look at the elite eight that contributed to the remarkable month:
- Chevy Volt: August Sales - 3,351* (Previous best - 2,961 October 2012)
- Nissan LEAF: August Sales - 2,420* (Previous best - 2,236 March 2013)
- Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid: August Sales - 1,791 (Previous best - 1,889 October 2012)
- Ford C-Max Energi: August Sales - 621 (Previous best - 1,259 November 2012)
- Ford Fusion Energi: August Sales - 600* (Previous best - 416 May 2013)
- Toyota Rav4 EV: August Sales - 231* (Previous best - 133 March 2103)
- Smart Fortwo Electric Drive: August Sales - 182* (Previous best - 60 May 2013)
- Fiat 500e: August Sales - 160 (Previous best - 150 July 2013)
August’s plug-in vehicle sales are a remarkable 29% improvement over the previous top sales month for EVs (December 2012) and a full 64% over sales figures for July.
Will that 12,000-unit mark fall to the plug-ins by year's end? We sure hope so...