Third-Gen Smart ForTwo Electric Drive Rolls Out in US
Mercedes-Benz USA has officially announced that the US cheapest electric vehicle, the third-generation Smart Fortwo Electric Drive, is now rolling out to Smart dealers across the country.
I Start at $28,000
With a MSRP of only $25,000 (before the $7,500 federal tax credit) the Smart Fortwo Electric Drive undercuts all of the electric competition. Even the cabriolet version, which is priced at $28,000 (prior to incentives) is cheap compared to other electrics out there.
It's been known for some time that the 3rd gen Fortwo ED would arrive at US dealer in May (Smart stated May 15 a few days back), but now it's officially here.
Below we'll highlight a few of the Fortwo Electric Drive details released in the past:
- Purchase and rent the battery: Smart USA values the battery pack inside the car at $5,010, so if you are purchasing the car, the base net is now $19,990. Vehicle owners are then required to pay $80/per month on a 5 year/60 month term. Smart has a renewal program entering month 61 that lets you extend the deal for another 5 years, at the same $80/month rate.
- Lease and rent the battery: similar to the lease deal, except in this case you are looking at $119 lease and a $80 battery rental
- Purchase outright: Prices listed above
- EPA range rating of 68 miles, with the car getting 76 miles in the city and 59 on the highway
I'm Only $25,000
- MPGe: 122 city, 93 hwy and 107 combined
- 17.6 kWh lithium battery made by Deutsche ACCUmotive
- 55kW (74 hp) electric motors that puts out 130 Nm (96 lb-ft of torque)
- top speed: 78 mph
- 0 – 62 mph in 11.5 seconds
- 100% charge (240V) in 6 hours
- 80% charge (240V) from 20% to 100% in 4.5 hours, 20% to 80% in 3.5 hours
- all season tires – 155/60R15 on 4.5Jx15 (front), 175/55R15 on 5.5Jx15 (rear)
- length – 106.1 inches (8.8 feet), width – 61.4 inches, (5.1 feet), height – 60.7 inches (5.1 feet)
- US Curb Weight: 2,094 lbs (coupe) 2138 lbs (cabrio)