Unfortunately for us, most automakers are rather slow in releasing sales figures for its vehicles sold on the other side of the Atlantic. Some don't even provide model-by-model European sales data. Luckily, Toyota is not in that later group.
Toyota Motor Europe just released is 2013 first quarter sales results, including figures for the Prius Plug-In Hybrid, so now we know how it's faring in Europe.
First, some overall hybrid sales data from Toyota/Lexus. Toyota says that in quarter 1 of 2013, Toyota/Lexus hybrid sales checked in at 38,673 unit, up 82.3% from Q1 of 2012. Furthermore, Toyota/Lexus hybrids accounted for 20% of automaker's total sales in Europe in Q1 2013. These figures don't provide us with specific plug-in related sales, but here are those results (remember, Toyota's only plug-in offered in Europe is the cord-loving Prius):
Prius Plug-In Sales Aren't Too Shabby in Europe, Says Toyota
- The Prius family sold 9,166 units in Q1
- 4,039 were the classic Prius
- 3,715 were the Prius +
- 1,412 were the Prius Plug-In Hybrid
- Worldwide sales of the Prius Plug-In now exceed 31,100 units
- Since launching in Summer 2012 in Europe, sales hit 4,417 units as of the end of March 2013
- Cumulative US sales (launch date March 2012) of the Prius Plug-In Hybrid checked in at 15,103 as of the end of March 2013