Chevrolet Volt: Top Selling Plug-In Vehicle In 9 Of 12 Months In 2012 in US
2013 Nissan LEAF
Giving credit where it's due, the staff at Best Selling Cars Blog, along with assistance from a gent by the name of Austin Rutherford, presented a comprehensive list of the Top 1,000 (actually, its a Top 937, as that's all the vehicles that exist with sales data) best-selling vehicles worldwide in 2012.
This truly comprehensive list is so mind-boggling long that we can't even imagine the hours or days it took to compile.
When the excruciating data crunching ended, the list emerged. We scanned it for plug-in vehicles and, though a few of the figures don't precisely line up with what we believe 2012 worldwide sales to be for a some vehicles, here's a look at some notably entries found in the Top 1,000 list:
- Chevy Volt/ Opel-Vauxhall Ampera: Sales 31,400 Units - Rank Overall: 432nd Place
- Nissan LEAF: Sales 26,566 Units - Rank Overall: 468th Place
- Renault Twizy: Sales 9,020 Units - Rank Overall: 626th Place
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV: Sales 7,917 Units - Rank Overall: 645th Place
- Tesla Model S: Sales 2,650 Units -Rank Overall: 730th Place
- Renault Fluence: Sales 1,407 Units -Rank Overall: 779th Place*
- Fisker Karma: Sales 1,073 Units - Rank Overall: 797th Place
- Tesla Roadster: Sales 132 Units - Rank Overall: 881st Place
- Renault Zoe: Sales 60 Units - Rank Overall: 902nd Place
Note: Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid sales were included in conventional Prius sales in this Top 1,000 list, so we didn't break out its results here.
* not originally listed/broken down, but we added their sales and approximate position