Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. Plug-In Vehicles Were Assembled In U.S.

Tesla Model 3 frame

APR 25 2018 BY MARK KANE 10

Most of the plug-in electric cars sold in the U.S. are also produced in the U.S.

According to the U.S. DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, 65% of the plug-in electric car population were assembled in the U.S.

The three next countries are Germany (10%), Japan (9%) and Mexico (9%), for a total of 93%. The rest of the world represents just 7%.

Read Also – Plug-In Electric Car Sales By Brand Origin In 2017

With the production ramp-up of Tesla Model 3 (the best selling plug-in model so far in 2018), it’s expected that the U.S. assembly ratio will increase.

U.S. plug-in vehicle (PEV) population by assembly country, 2017 (Source: energy.gov)

“Of the U.S. plug-in vehicle (PEV) population, which includes both all-electric and plug-in hybrid light vehicles, nearly two-thirds were assembled in the United States. Ten percent of U.S. PEVs were assembled in Germany, with 9% each coming from Mexico and Japan. Each of the other countries represented less than 4% of the U.S. PEV population.

Notes: China, Austria, and the Netherlands were less than 0.5%. Electric vehicle population was based on vehicle sales. Total may not add to 100% due to rounding. Assembly country may be different than the country where some vehicle parts were manufactured.

Source: Argonne National Laboratory, Impacts of Electrification of Light-Duty Vehicles in the United States, 2010-2017, ANL/ESD-18/1, January 2018.”

Source: energy.gov

Categories: General

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

10 Comments on "Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. Plug-In Vehicles Were Assembled In U.S."

newest oldest most voted

Go team USA!!

BMW is the largest car exporter in the US.
If it is a BMW x something, it is made in the US, and exported all over the world.

Somewhat. X1 and X2 are imports to US. South Africa and China build X3s. And about 100 X3/4/5 are built per day in import restricted countries Like Brazil, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Egypt and Russia. The US builds about 8000 X3/4/5/6/(7 coming soon) per week in South Carolina. The iX3 shown today will only be built in China.

Let’s hope the iX3 and the Cadillac CT6 PHEV aren’t the start of a disturbing trend. The US can get plenty of PHEVs as long as we don’t mind them coming from China.

You are disturbed. The trend is not disturbing.

Oh Touche!!

Meanwhile Ford counters with their new genius business strategy….we’ll just stop making cars altogether.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ford-motor-results/ford-accelerates-cost-cutting-plan-will-drop-most-u-s-sedans-idUSKBN1HW2UH

People don’t really buy cars. It’s not that strange a move. It frees them up to build more crossovers and SUVs.

And then when gashog sales crater when (not if) fuel prices go up, they’ll wonder why they are (again) at the brink of bankruptcy. MBA thinking at it’s finest.

Toyota & Mazda will be investing $1.6 Billion toward production in Huntsville, Alabama (creating 4,000 new jobs). Corolla will be built there. Wanna bet the plug-in hybrid model will be a large chunk of that?