Mitsubishi Chief Engineer Talks About Future Of Electric Drive In US – Videos
Mitsubishi USA’s chief engineer for regulatory compliance, David Patterson sits down for an extended 2-part interview with EV World and talks about all things plug-in – past, present and future.
As the two part video is quite lengthy (37 mins) – but also quite excellent, we have time stamped the topics of interest covered.
Topics covered in Part 1 – above (time stamp):
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV history (1:00)
- US conversion of the i-MiEV to North American spec (2:58)
- Mitsu’s 20-20 plan – “20% of vehicles electric drive by 2020” (5:00)
- PSA/Citroen’s rebadge of the i-MiEV in Europe (6:30)
- Normal, Illinois – EV Town USA update (9:25)
- What’s wrong with i-MiEV sales vs the Nissan LEAF? Mr. Patterson points to his company’s small size, smaller ad budget – not the car itself. Fair? (12:30)
- Small range an issue for the i-MiEV? Plans for more miles in the future? (14:00)
- Outlander PHEV introduction to the US in 2016 – “still squishy”, Mitsubishi forced to developed special US model – America no longer #1 EV market (17:00)
Topics covered in Part 2 – above (time stamp):
- Choosing Europe for Outlander PHEV (0:00)
- Mitubishi’s involvement in the Pike’s Peak Hill Climb competition (1:30)
- Recall of all EV concepts/prototype vehicles back to Japan after tsunami disaster in 2011 (4:30)
- Subsequent demand for the “MiEV Powerbox” (2 way power) in Japan for both the I-MiEV and Outlander PHEV (6:10)
- Key “lessons and hiccups” learned over past 8 years – “ideal infrastructure” needed (7:30)
- On Early Outlander PHEV battery issues (9:20)
- Future of i-MiEV? Different all-electric “sports” version? Focus now is on PHEV – crossover SUV, 4WD SUV (10:30)
- Outlander PHEV rollout plans for the US in 2016 (14:30)
- 2016 i-MiEV changes – new 7″ screen/nav functions (16:30)
- Hints about US production of a new PHEV (17:00)
Hat tip to offib!