Mercedes SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive Sets New Lap Record for Production Electric Vehicle at Nürburgring (w/video)
This month, Mercedes-Benz will start selling the SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive. And now the German automaker has some strong bragging right to tag to this stunning piece of automotive machinery: 7:56.234.
That’s the time it took for the SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive to lap the Nürburgring Nordschleife (“north loop”), which means this vehicle is now the record holder at the famed track in the production electric vehicle class.
That’s right, the SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive is the Nürburgring Nordschleife champion and is the only production electric vehicle to post a time below 8 minutes.
Mercedes’ time dethrones that of the newly defunct Audi R8 e-tron, which held the previous ‘production-intent’ record at 8’09, 099, giving Audi another bitter pill to swallow of late on the super-car project.
Tobias Moers, Head of Overall Vehicle Development and member of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH, had this to say of the record-setting event:
“For the first time, an electrically-powered series production vehicle has lapped the Nürburgring Nordscheife in under eight minutes. The record for the SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive in 7:56.234 minutes on the Nordschleife shows the special position of our innovative and unique drive solution. With the extremely efficient battery technology deriving from Formula 1, four electric motors positioned close to the wheels, the individual wheel torques ‘AMG Torque Dynamics’, the SLS eSound and our ambitious ‘AMG Lightweight Performance’ design strategy, the SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive generates a breathtaking sensation unlike any other model out on the road.”
The ultimate record for an electric vehicle still belongs to Toyota’s TMG EV P002 (7:22,329), but this is a proprietary race car, not a production vehicle.
Here are a few specs on the SLS AMG Coupe Electric Driv:
- The strongest current AMG high-performance car has four electrical motors with a total output of 751 hp and maximum torque of 1,000 Nm.
- The gullwing car is therefore advancing to become the strongest and fastest electrically-powered series production vehicle in the world. The SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive accelerates from zero to 62 mph in a mere 3.9 seconds and can reach a top speed of 155mph (electronically limited).
Nürburgring Nordschleife (aka Green Hell) Top 5 times posted by electric vehicles:
- TMG EV P002 7’22, 329
- TMG EV P001 7’47, 794
- Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive 7’56, 234
- Audi R8 e-tron (version with raised speed limit to 155 mph) 8’09, 099
- Audi R8 e-tron (pre-production prototype) 8’26, 096