Mercedes-Benz S 500 Plug-In Hybrid On Sale Now – Priced From 108,945 Euros In Germany ($146,000 USD)
Daimler announced the official sales start of Mercedes-Benz S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID, which is presented in the above photo in “Magnetitschwarz metallic“.
Sales price in Germany, incl. 19 percent VAT, almost reaches €110,000 (some $146,000), which is the same as a base S 500 with V8 ICE.
“With immediate effect the Mercedes-Benz S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID can be ordered for prices from 108,944.50 euros. The S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID blends an ultramodern hybrid drive configuration with the unique innovations and the luxurious equipment and appointments of the S-Class. The luxury saloon with a long wheelbase impresses with unique dynamism and efficiency. Thanks to standard pre-entry climate control it also offers unique climate comfort. In September the first certified three-litre luxury saloon in the world will be arriving at the dealers – a further milestone on the road to emission-free mobility.”
This is the very first S 500 with plug, so it will be interesting to see how it will sell in Germany where Tesla seems to be struggling.
Mercedes believes that 325 kW and 650 Nm of torque, combined with average fuel consumption (certified for 2.8 litres/100 km) comparable to compact cars, will make it a success. 0-62 mph in just 5.2 seconds is not bad either.
From those 325 kW, just 85 kW are from electric motor, which adds 340 Nm of the torque. This is enough to drive in all-electric mode up to 140 km/h (87 mph), for up to 250 km/h (155 mph), the V6 biturbo is necessary.
According to Daimler, the battery (8.7 kWh) will be good for about 33 km (20 miles), however we are not sure how this translates to real world yet. Early estimates are for around 15 miles on the USA/EPA cycle.
The car should be durable as the German manufacturer announced that every technical malfunction within a period of six years or 100,000 kilometres will be corrected.
“In order to strengthen the customers’ trust in the new, innovative PLUG-IN HYBRID drive system, for the S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID Mercedes-Benz is for the first time issuing a certificate and thus a promise to perform for the high-voltage battery and PLUG-IN HYBRID components (e.g. e-machine and power electronics). This ensures that every technical malfunction within a period of six years after initial delivery or registration, or up to a mileage of 100,000 kilometres, is corrected by Mercedes-Benz.”
Ola Källenius, Executive Vice-President for Sales at Mercedes-Benz Cars stated:
“The new S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID offers our customers the entire range of innovations that make our new S-Class so successful, and thanks to its intelligent operating strategy ensures outstanding driving pleasure and dynamism combined with the highest efficiency. Moreover, it allows completely emission-free driving for up to 33 km.”
Prof. Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Daimler AG Executive Board responsible for corporate research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development adds:
“The S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID is the first luxury saloon with the performance of a V8 and the fuel consumption of a compact model. The greatest challenge in this is to translate highest efficiency into superior performance. In this respect there is a highly interesting parallel with our successful Formula 1 racing car, which likewise has a turbocharged V6 engine and hybrid drive.”
The technical data at a glance:
Model S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID Internal combustion engine: Number of cylinders/arrangement 6/V Mixture formation High-pressure injection, 2 turbochargers Displacement (cc) 2996 Rated output (kW/hp at rpm) 245/333 at 5250-6000 Rated torque (Nm at rpm) 480 at 1600-4000 Electric motor: Output (kW) 85 Torque (Nm) 340 System output (kW/hp) 325/442 System torque (Nm)1 650 Consumption combined from (l/100 km)2 2.8 CO2 emissions combined from (g/km)2 65 Efficiency class A+ Electric range (km) 33 Charge time 20%-100% (400 V/16 A – 230 V/8 A)3 (h) 2 – 4.1 Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s) 5.2 Top speed (km/h)1 250 Top speed electric (km/h)1 140 Price (euros)4 108,944.50
And here we have the press blast on the equipment:
Extensive standard equipment, extended pre-entry climate controlThe standard equipment in the S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID is extensive and offers a world premiere: The extended pre-entry climate control. This is target value controlled. This means that at the start of the journey the S-Class is air conditioned to the preset temperature if the driver enters the departure time, via Mercedes connect me, for example. This is possible due to the electrically driven refrigerant compressor and electric heating elements for the heated air. In addition to this, when preheating it is not just the interior air but also the seats, steering wheel and armrests in the doors and centre console which are heated, and when cooling the seat ventilation is also activated if the respective optional extra is on board.Also standard in the S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID, which is only available with a long wheelbase, are for example LED High Performance headlamps and LED tail lights, leather upholstery, COMAND Online, touchpad, THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control plus seat heating also in the rear, Memory package for driver and front passenger, ambient lighting in seven colours and the air suspension AIRMATIC with continuously variable damping system. The basic safety equipment includes PRE-SAFE®, COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (collision warning including Adaptive Brake Assist), ATTENTION ASSIST, PRE-SAFE® impulse, Crosswind Assist and Traffic Sign Assist (Speed Limit Assist including wrong-way warning function and display of limit speeds in the instrument cluster).Over and above this a multitude of unique optional extras is available, and here is an extract:
- LED Intelligent Light System with variable light distribution for rural road and motorway, active light function, cornering light function, enhanced fog light function and Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus(1773.10 euros)
- Head-up Display (1201.90 euros)
- Driving Assistance package Plus including DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot, PRE-SAFE® Brake, BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist and PRE-SAFE® PLUS (2677.50 euros, only in conjunction with Active Parking Assist for 1344.70 euros)
- Night View Assist Plus with early detection of people and large animals in the dark, including spotlight function (2427.60 euros)
- PRE-SAFE® rear package with illuminated seat belt buckle extenders, PRE-SAFE® belt tensioners and beltbags for outer rear seats (1428 euros)
- Seat Comfort package for driver and front passenger, comprising: active multicontour seats in the front with dynamic handling function (seat side bolsters are each adjusted via an air chamber) and with ENERGIZING massage function (massage function via 14 air chambers in the seat backrest, massage heating panels in the spinal area), fast-acting seat heating Plus and adjustable lumbar support via three air chambers (2023 euros)
- Rear seats electrically adjustable including Memory function comprising: three-seater bench seat with two electrically adjustable outer luxury seats, luxury head restraints with an additional cushion, front passenger seat operable from the rear, two ISOFIX child seat attachment points, two TopTether fastening points, armrest in the rear including double cup holder with wood trim and stowage space (1785 euros)
- AIR-BALANCE package, including ionisation, improved air filtering and fragrancing (440.30 euros)
- Warmth Comfort package comprising: heated armrest in the driver’s and front-passenger door as well as in the centre console, heated armrest in the rear doors, heated armrest in the centre armrest in the rear in conjunction with electrically adjustable rear seats (optional extra), heated armrest in the business console in conjunction with First-Class rear suite (optional extra), buttons for heating the seats and armrests in the door control panels in the doors, heated steering wheel, (630.70 euros)
- Panoramic sliding sunroof with convenience and automatic rain-sensor closing function, electric sunblind, obstruction sensor plus PRE-SAFE® closing function (1725.50 euros)
- Burmester® high-end 3D surround sound system with 24 loudspeakers, 24 amplifier channels and a total system output of 1540 W (7497 euros)
- Individual Entertainment System in the rear including two 25.4 cm (10″) displays on the backrest of the driver’s and front passenger seat, DVD player, two radio headphones and COMAND remote control (2856 euros)
- TV receiver for digital television reception with support from, i.a., multichannel sound, EPG (electronic programme guide) and teletext (1285.20 euros)