LG Chem Announced By GM As The 2015 Supplier Of The Year
LG Chem – lithium-ion battery supplier for Chevrolet Spark EV, Chevrolet Volt, Cadillac ELR and for the upcoming Chevrolet Bolt EV (more on that later) – was recognized by General Motors as one of the 110 best global suppliers from 17 countries.
Automotive suppliers from 17 countries received GM’s coveted Supplier of the Year award for going above and beyond GM’s requirements, designed to provide customers with the most innovative technologies that benefit customers and the industry’s highest quality vehicles.
GM’s 2015 recognition represents a nearly 40 percent increase in the number of suppliers recognized compared to 79 recipients in 2014. More than half of the suppliers are repeat winners from 2014.
Steve Kiefer, GM vice president, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain said:
“Our priorities are focused on building positive supplier relationships, bringing new, customer-centric innovations to GM, and being the OEM of choice among suppliers. The companies we recognize tonight not only have brought innovation, they delivered it with the quality our customers deserve.”
LG is the supplier for a lot of other devices for the Bolt EV past just the battery, so the relations must be pretty good:
- Electric Drive Motor (built from GM design)
- Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
- On Board Charger
- Electric Climate Control System Compressor
- Battery Cells and Pack
- High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
- Battery Heater
- Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
- Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
- Instrument Cluster
- Infotainment System
There was also new Innovation award, and one of five suppliers – Delta Electronics, was awarded for the 2016 Chevrolet Volt on-board charger.
During the event, GM debuted an Innovation award to recognize five suppliers who brought new innovations that benefit customers. Inaugural winners include Autoneum Holding AG; Delphi Automotive; Delta Electronics; Gentex Corporation; and FANUC Corporation.
- Autoneum – provided new lightweight acoustic material in the 2016 GMC Acadia that reduces mass by 20 percent while improving acoustic performance.
- Delphi – provided industry-first vehicle-to-vehicle wireless communication technology to provide 360-degree object detection, which can see beyond the line of sight and around large obstructions. GM will be the first to market with this technology available on the 2017 Cadillac CTS.
- Delta Electronics – supplied an on-board charger module in the 2016 Chevrolet Volt that converts AC power into DC power with the purpose of recharging the battery pack of an electric car.
- FANUC – developed an assembly plant paint robot application designed to prevent unexpected downtime while enhancing overall robot performance.
- Gentex – introduced industry-first rear camera mirror on the 2016 Cadillac CT6 that eliminates C-pillar obstacles and increases field of vision up to 300 percent.
GM also honored three companies – LGE/LG Chem., Brake Parts Incorporated, and repeat winner Lear – with its Overdrive Award. The honor, first debuted in 2012, recognizes supply partners for extraordinary leadership in cultural change and commitment initiatives that drove exceptional business results for GM.
The Supplier of the Year, Overdrive and Innovation award winners are chosen by a global team of GM purchasing, engineering, quality, manufacturing, and logistics executives. Winners were selected based on performance criteria in Product Purchasing, Indirect Purchasing, Customer Care and Aftersales, and Logistics.
General Motors’ 2015 Supplier of the Year award winners include:
Suppliers Suppliers 4flow Höegh Autoliners ABC Group Inc. Hollingsworth Distribution Systems, LLC Active Aero Group Huf Hülsbeck & Fürst Advanced Composites HUMAX AUTOMOTIVE Co., Ltd Allegis Global Solutions I.S.TECH Corporation ALPINE ELECTRONICS, INC. Ideal Contracting LLC/Ideal Setech LLC ArcelorMittal ILJIN GLOBAL Architectural Graphics, Inc. ITAESBRA INDUSTRIA MECANICA LTDA AUSTEM Co., Ltd. Katcon Global AUTOGEN Co., Ltd. KM&I Co., Ltd. AUTOLIV INC. KOREA AUTOGLASS Corporation Axalta Coating Systems Lakeside Plastics Limited BASF Corporation Lear Corporation BHTC LEONI Wiring Systems Bocar Group LG Chem, Ltd BREMBO MacLean-Fogg Component Solutions Bridgestone Corporation Maersk Line CEFA S.A. Magna International Inc. CHASYS CO., LTD. Manhattan Associates ChemicoMays LLC. MANN+HUMMEL GmbH CHUNIL CARGO TRANSPORTATION CO., LTD. MNP Corporation Chunil Engineering Co., Ltd. MRC Manufacturing, Inc. (Moon Roof Corporation) Cisco Systems, Inc. MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company Clark-Cutler-McDermott Company Mubea Global Suspension COAVIS Müller – Die lila Logistik AG Continental Tire North American Lighting, Inc. Creative Techniques, Inc. NS AUTO TECH CO., LTD. Cunningham Brothers Auto Parts LLC NYX, Inc. Czarnowski Display Services O-OKA CORPORATION Dakkota Integrated Systems, LLC Panasonic Automotive Systems Company Dell Inc. POSCO DGENX CO., LTD Precision International Automotive Products Inc. DongAh Tire & Rubber Co. Rich Logistics DSV Air & Sea Inc. SAMBO AUTO CO., LTD. Dynamic Manufacturing, Inc. Samvardhana Motherson Reflectec ECM (Vehicle Delivery Service) Ltd Seil Intech Co., Ltd. ElringKlinger AG Seoul Precision Co., Ltd. EMS-CHEMIE AG Sinjin Plastics Co., Ltd erae Automotive Systems Co., Ltd. SM NAMSUN ALUMINUM CO., LTD.
ETXE-TAR Summit Polymers, Inc. FANUC CORPORATION Superior Industries Faurecia T.V. Minority Co. Inc. FedEx Corporation Tenneco, Inc. FLEXITECH thyssenkrupp Springs and Stabilizers Flex-N-Gate Corporation US FARATHANE GALLAGHER-KAISER CORPORATION Valeo Lighting Gentex Corporation VALIANT TMS Turnkey Manufacturing Solutions GmbH GESTAMP Vuteq Corporation GNS Automotive Wooshin Systems Co., Ltd. GRIMALDI GROUP YAPP America Holding, Inc. GROB-WERKE GmbH & Co. KG YEONGHWA METAL Co., Ltd. Guangdong Hongtu Technology (holdings) Co., Ltd. Youngsin Metal Industrial Co., Ltd. HIROTEC AMERICA, Inc.