Inside Tesla Part 3: The Paint Center (Video)
JUN 12 2012 BY STATIK
We are only days away from the first official delivery of the Tesla Model S on June 22nd (well, sorta the first delivery), and to keep the excitement going Tesla has released a third segment of the fabrication process behind the 160-300 mile electric sedan.
Today’s video focuses on the the paint center.
“The paint finish of Model S will raise the bar in the premium automotive category.”
- First, a Body-in-White is submerged into our pre-treatment bath where the aluminum gets prepared for its first treatment layer.
- We then dip Model S into a 75,000 gallon tank of advanced electro-coating solution to enhance the appearance of subsequent paint layers.
- After this e-coat dip, the car goes through a 350° F oven to ensure a “baked on” protection against corrosion.
- Highly-skilled craftsmen then apply sealer to ensure it is watertight and quiet.
- Next, the car gets its primer coat, followed by a base coat from one of our 10 vibrant color choices.
- Lastly we apply a clear coat application to make the car shine! These “coats” are all applied by the latest robotic paint applicators that not only spray, but also open the doors, hood and liftgate to cover every surface of the car.
Tesla warns us that “the robots move fast“, so we should “watch carefully in the video to see all these maneuvers.” As always, one assumes these same robots have just destroyed all humanity, as people do not appear to have anything to do with the production of the Model S. /0000001