Harley-Davidson Commits To Electric Motorcycle – Production Within Next 5 Years
According to Milwaukee Business Journal (via Asphalt & Rubber), Harley-Davidson will introduce electric motorcycle…within 5 years.
The news comes from Sean Cummings, Harley-Davidson’s Senior Vice President of Global Demand.
Two years ago Harley-Davidson launched its pilot project LiveWire to understand the consumer response, and gauge potential demand.
Now it seems that Harley-Davidson has gathered all the needed data and has decided to begin development of new, production electric motorcycle; but apparently at its own speed – which isn’t very fast.
Project LiveWire was built with help from Mission Motors.
Project LiveWire specs (see more details here):
- 3-phase AC electric induction motor
- 74 hp (55 kW) and 8000 rpm. Peak torque is 52 lb.ft (70.5 Nm)
- 92 mph (148 km/h) top speed
- 0-60 mph (100 km/h) in 4 seconds
- a full recharge takes around 3.5 hours
- average range about 53 miles (85 km)
Source: Asphalt & Rubber