Half-Year Plug-In Sales For Europe – Renault Zoe Takes Lead From The Nissan LEAF
While we do a lot of work reporting on the US plug-in sales every month, we tend to neglect other countries and regions throughout the world because…well, there is a lot of them. Not everyone wants to see a monthly update on EV sales in South Africa.
Europe is another story however, as we like to highlight one or two individual countries from the region every month, and then do a semi-annual review at the end of every June and December.
So, looking at the calendar, we have procrastinated long enough…Europe’s time has come.
Entering June, the Renault Zoe had a thin lead on the LEAF, but the month finally saw the Renault take the lead away from its”Alliance” partner for good, as 1,358 of the 93 mile* EVs were sold.
Top 10 Europe Plug-In Sales: January 2013 – June 2013
Renault Zoe – 4,770
- Nissan LEAF – 3,973
- Renault Kangoo ZE – 2,965
- Toyota Prius Plug-In – 1,965
- Smart Fortwo ED (est) – 1,500
- Opel Ampera – 1,098
- Volvo V60 Plug-In – 489
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV – 486
- Citröen C-Zero – 382
- Bolloré Blue Car – 258
- the Renault Twizy, which we don’t like to add to the list because A) it is technically a quadricyle and B) is a low cost NEV would have finished 5th on the list with 1,634 units sold to date
- the Chevrolet Volt, which shares everything but some superficial sheet metal and a badge with Opel Ampera sold 232 copies in Europe (11th)
- the best seller for 2012 in Europe (outside of the Renault Twizy that sold a little over 9,000 copies), was the Opel Ampera at 6,631 copies, followed by the Renault Kangoo ZE (5,667), Nissan LEAF (3,973), and the Toyota Prius plug-in (3,496)
As for June itself, just to see how sales are trending in the short-term. Here is the top 10 sellers.
Top 10 Europe Plug-in Sales: June 2013
Renault Zoe – 1,358
- Nissan LEAF – 711
- Renault Twizy – 380*
- Toyota Prius Plug-In -189
- Opel Ampera -179
- Smart ED (est) – 170
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV – 63
- Volvo V60 Plug-In – 47
- Renault Fluence ZE – 29
- Chevrolet Volt – 25
Special thanks to Kimmi at EV-sales.blogspot for filling in some holes for us on this one!