German Plug-In Electric Vehicle Market Almost Triples In May To 3,843 Sales
Germany has become one of the fastest growing plug-in vehicle markets this year, and continued that trend in May with 3,843 new registrations (that’s nearly s 1.2% market share).
Sales for the month almost tripled that of May 2016 (1,380) – up by 178% to be exact:
- BEVs: 1,520 – up 159%
- PHEVs: 2,323 – up 193%
Among the top selling plug-ins we noted:
- Audi A3 Sportback e-tron – 516 (which is 10% of total 5,121 A3)
- BMW 225xe Active Tourer – 298 (which is 7.3% of total 2-series)
- BMW i3 – 297 (201 BEV/96 REx)
- Renault ZOE – 271
- Tesla Model S – 206 (Tesla Model X stands at 116)
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV – 201 (which is 21.5% of total 935 Outlander).
Also of interest for May, the still very production constrained Hyundai IONIQ electric set its own registrations record at 130 (271 YTD), while the next generation smart ED began to appear in the stats (34 fortwo ED and 5 forfour ED).
Opel Ampera-e? Well, only two new units were registered.