French Plug-In Car Market Loses Momentum In April, Down 23%

5 months ago by Mark Kane 11

Plug-in car registrations in France – April 2017

France, just like Norway this month, wasn’t able to build on previous plug-in vehicle growth in April, as only 2,431 new plug-ins were registered in the country – down by 22.9%

Renault ZOE

Overall, all-electric car sales decreased by around 30%, while the plug-in hybrids managed to increase by 10%, rebounding after several months of slowdown.

  • Passenger BEVs: 1,474 registrations (down 30%) at 0.86% market share (PC)
  • Light commercial BEVs: 370 (down 28%) at 1.02% market share (LCV)
  • Passenger PHEVs: 587 (up 10%) and nearly 0.34% market share (PC)

The Renault ZOE with 939 new registrations was down just 5%, so the big drop isn’t ZOE-related.

In fact, the rest of the all-electric passenger models, on average, collapsed by over 52% from 1,119 year ago to 535.

Plug-In Car Registrations in France – April 2017 – passenger BEVs, commercial BEVs, passenger PHEVs (source: Avere-France / AAA data)

source: Avere-France / AAA data

Tags: , , ,

11 responses to "French Plug-In Car Market Loses Momentum In April, Down 23%"

  1. Michael Will says:

    Everybody waiting on tesla model 3

    1. Seuthès says:

      In fact the software that professionals use to do the registrations didn’t able to do the job for more than two weeks.
      As many préfectures and sous préfectures have closed their registrastions services, non automatic registrations are very slow, and it could take the whole month of May to fix the April demands of registrations.

      Your dealer was able to make the registration, but was not able to paid the prefecture, so the registrations were not completed. They have to registrate it manually in the prefecture with cash.

      So last April sales were not good because the prefectures have a problem with their software. We will see the month of May sales.

      1. Cavaron says:

        Thanks for the insight info! Then we could se a spike next month.

    2. Mr. M says:

      Everybod waiting for his zoe 😉

  2. Peter says:

    How about the LSEVs? Do the LESVs need to be registrations in EU?

    Best & Regards!

    Peter

    Guangzhou Langqing Electric Car Co.,Ltd
    Add: Langqing Industrial Park, Taishi Industrial Zone, Dongchong Town, Panyu District, Guangzhou,China
    Tel: +86-020-34908868
    Fax: +86-020-34908866
    Mob: +86-13544534080
    Skype: peter20025428
    Email: peter@langqing.cn
    http://en.langqing.cn/

    1. Seuthès says:

      In France and in Belgium LSEV needs to be registrated. I don’t know for other European countries.

      1. Peter says:

        Thanks for your info! Seuthès, wish you have wonderful weekend!

        Best & Regards!

        Peter

        Guangzhou Langqing Electric Car Co.,Ltd
        Add: Langqing Industrial Park, Taishi Industrial Zone, Dongchong Town, Panyu District, Guangzhou,China
        Tel: +86-020-34908868
        Fax: +86-020-34908866
        Mob: +86-13544534080
        Skype: peter20025428
        Email: peter@langqing.cn
        http://en.langqing.cn/

  3. Nordic says:

    Easter was in March in 2016 and April in 2017!

  4. instant tq says:

    zoe ate all of them sales

  5. mg256 says:

    Actually in 1Q sales of ZOEs increased by some 70% while all sales of all the other vehicles fell by about 30%. Clearly main reason for untipically weak april is lower ZOEs sales. The question remains what was the outlier – 1Q with fast growth caused by cumulation of ZOEs deliveries(waited for) or april lowers sales caused by Easters, some technical difficulties of authorites mentioned in previous comment, but perhaps also by some problems with ZOE production – per EV-sales ZOE deliveris in Sweden and Netherland were also weak.

  6. Arthur says:

    Hello,

    Yes I confirm there was a technical issue on ZOE coming out of Flins factory.
    See below an article (in French !) mentioning it.
    http://www.automobile-propre.com/renault-zoe-livraisons-bloquees/

    Now, the problem has be resolved so the figures should raise again next month. The problem is for the cars that were issued before april 19th that need to be fixed (6 hours intervention).

Leave a Reply