Incentives Listed As Most Important Factor For Buying An EV In California + So Much More Data
A new online resource for electric vehicle buying demographics in California from ARB and the California Center for Sustainable Energy gives us the best look at who…and why people buy plug-in EVs.
The survey results were collected from October 2013 and cover California PEV drivers who have owned those vehicles from August 2012.
Pretty much any statistic surrounding the EV industry is there – average age of a plug-in buyer, male/female, income, etc.
We’ll pass along all the charts (below), but first highlight some ‘points of interest’ that caught our eye:
- 78% of respondent are male ( of 8,124 total surveys completed)
- 62% of plug-in owners utilize a special PEV electricity rate program
- 16% of owners also have a solar photovoltaic (PV) system of some kind
- 13% more are thinking of installing a solar system
- 11% found their point of purchase dealership to be “very knowledgeable”
- 47% of EV owners make $100,000-$200,000 per year
- just 1 in 4 make less than 6 figures
Biggest reason for choosing a plug-in vehicle?
- 37% – Saving money on fuel costs
- 21% – Environment
- 15% – HOV lane access
As for important factors in choosing to buy an EV, incentives lead the way by a large margin, with 75% focusing in on the federal and state credit.
The CCSE themselves also threw out some statistics on EV adoption in the state:
“California now leads the nation in putting the cleanest cars on the road. Currently, more than 40 percent of the cleanest vehicles in the world are on the roads in California, even though the state constitutes about 10 percent of the national market for cars.
Between March 2010 when the rebate program began and March 2014, the most recent month for which data was available, roughly 191,000 PEVs were sold in the U.S., with more than 83,000 of those in California. A clear majority — roughly 70 percent of California PEV drivers —have taken advantage of the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). “
You can check out the whole EV buying dashboard here.