Plug-In Vehicle Owners – The Streets of Paris Are Yours!
Paris, France is now officially a plug-in vehicle owner’s paradise.
Due to heavy smog, Paris has launched alternative driving days for the first time since 1997. Even-numbered license plates are banned from the city from 5:30 am today until midnight. Odd-numbered license plates will be banned tomorrow if smog levels persist
However, vehicles classes as “virtuous” (EVs, plug-in hybrid, CNG and vehicle with more than 3 occupants) are exempt, meaning that they can freely travel within Paris.
Additional measures to combat smog include:
- The movement of trucks over 3.5 tons is prohibited
- Free residential parking for Parisians
- Free parking for banned vehicles
- Free short-term EV rentals
Other vehicle not affect by the ban are as follows:
- Fire and rescue vehicles, transport related to health and funeral transport
- Buses, taxis and driver’s ed vehicles
- Construction vehicles and equipment, garbage trucks, money transport, newspapers, mail, tanker trucks, refrigerated trucks and so on
- Personal vehicles for bus and subway employees, sales representatives, and journalists
- Trucks and vans under 3.5 tons
- Any vehicle registered outside of France