DoE: China Accounted For 42% Of Plug-In Vehicle Sales In 2016
AUG 10 2017 BY MARK KANE
Okay, perhaps it is not the most timely report ever, but the the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy at U.S. DOE has released a nifty comparison of plug-in electric vehicle sales in 2015/2016.
The three largest markets together hold 95% of the sales; they include China, Europe and U.S. (although we are not sure why “Europe” as a basket of countries should necessary be considered a single market – especially considering the wide adoption variances between those countries). The DoE does split out the small addition from Japan, and even smaller contribution from Canada in the stats.
Since China took the lead in 2014, it’s unlikely that we will see another leader emerge any time soon, as the Chinese market is so huge (and is growing so fast) that it could even outperform the rest of the world as a whole in another year or two.
“About 756,000 plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) were sold in the world in 2016, with 95% of those sales in China, Europe, the United States, Japan, and Canada. China’s PEV sales grew by 53% from 2015 to 2016, to a high of nearly 317,000 vehicles, most of which were all-electric vehicles (EV) (77%). All of the European countries combined had 11% PEV sales growth from 2015 to 2016, with an EV share of 44%. The United States PEV market grew by 40% during the same time frame, with over half (54%) of sales being EV in 2016. Japan’s PEV market grew by 7%, with a 63% share of EV in 2016.”
Note: PHEV = plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. EV = all-electric vehicle.
Plug-in Vehicle Sales by Vehicle Type, Calendar Years 2015 and 2016 (Thousands)
China Europe United States Japan Canada World 2015 2016 2015 2016 2015 2016 2015 2016 2015 2016 2015 2016 EV 143.3 244.4 87.8 91.3 71.1 86.7 10.4 15.2 4.7 4.9 333.0 464.6 PHEV 63.8 72.4 100.6 118.0 43.0 72.9 12.4 9.1 2.2 5.4 233.0 291.7 Total PEV 207.0 316.8 188.3 209.3 114.0 159.6 22.8 24.3 6.9 10.3 566.0 756.3 Sources:
Data compiled and estimated from various sources by Argonne National Laboratory, March 2016.
Global Sales References:
- All China PEV sales and some of Japan PEV sales are provided by Prof. Wang Hewu of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- Europe PEV sales are from European Alternative Observatory.
- Other Japan PEV sales are from the following websites:
- Inside EVs, “Toyota Launches New Prius PHV in Japan“
- Inside EVs, “Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Sales in Japan Down Nearly 90% in July“
- Inside EVs, “Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Sales Fall In Japan For April“
- Inside EVs, “2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Postponed To Next Summer“
- Wards Automotive, “Toyota Leads Hybrid Market to Record Sales in 2016“
- Inside EVs, “Nissan LEAF Sales In Japan Cross 75,000 In February/“
- International Energy Agency, Global EV Outlook 2016
We are happy to notice that DOE finds InsideEVs as valuable source of plug-in car sales data.