Details on BMW C Evolution Electric Maxi Scooter Slip Out in Frankfurt
The BMW C Evolution electric maxi scooter hit the stage in Frankfurt today as one of the headliners of the show for BMW.
The BMW C is claimed to be one of the world’s most capable electric maxi scooters and it’ll go on sale immediately in Europe. It’s not yet known if the C will make the journey across the Atlantic to be sold in the US, though we’d guess it will at some point in time.
Pricing has not yet been announced, but BMW did slip out all of the other C Evolution details, which you’ll find in abbreviated form below.
Powerful drive unit with liquid-cooled electric motor and air-cooled high-voltage battery. Range of 100 kilometres (62 miles) under practical conditions.
The C evolution is powered by a drivetrain swing arm with liquid-cooled permanent magnet synchronous motor via a toothed belt and ring gearing. The rated power output is 11 kW (15 hp), with a peak output of 35 kW (47 hp). This enables the C evolution to achieve a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph, electronically limited) and gives it better acceleration than some maxi scooters powered by engines with displacements of 600 cc or more.
The generous 8 kWh capacity of the air-cooled lithium-ion high-voltage battery allows the two-wheeler to cover a range of up to 100 kilometres (62 miles) before it needs to be charged from any domestic mains supply. When plugged in to a standard 220V domestic socket with a 12A charge current, recharging fully from empty takes around 4 hours (with 220V / 16A = 3 h).
The highlights at a glance:
• Innovative electric drive system via drivetrain swing arm with liquid-cooled permanent magnet synchronous motor, toothed belt and ring gearing.
• Rated power output 11 kW (homologated according to ECE R85) and 35 kW peak output.
• Maximum torque 72 Nm (53 lb-ft).
• Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph).
• Acceleration 0 – 50 km/h (31 mph) in 2.7 s.
• Acceleration 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.2 s.
• High range of 100 kilometres (62 miles) in practical operation.
• 4 ride modes available to choose from: Road, Eco Pro, Sail and Dynamic.
• Reversing aid for supremely easy manoeuvring.
• Torque Control Assist (TCA).
• High-voltage battery with high capacity of 8 kWh and innovative air cooling.
• Intelligent recuperation when coasting and when braking.
• Recharged from the domestic mains supply.
• Takes just 4 h to charge to 100 % capacity at 220V / 12A (220V / 16A = 3 h).
• Synergies with BMW Automobile harnessed during development.
• Electrical safety to passenger car standards.
• Hybrid chassis with agile handling due to low centre of gravity.
• Powerful braking system with ABS.
• Large TFT colour display.
• LED daytime running light and sidelight.
• Inspirational colour scheme and design.
Gallery: Double Click to Enlarge