BMW, Nissan, Ford, GM Set Records In August To Pace EV Sales Higher In US
August for plug-in sales in America was a month like no other, as 11 plug-in vehicles set new yearly highs during the month!
And it was a good thing too, as very strong year-over-year comps (August 2013-11,273) coupled with Tesla’s summer production shutdown/focus on Asia threatened to end what was 44 consecutive monthly sales increases for the US market.
Make that 45 in a row now!
In total, an estimated 11,803 plug-ins were sold during August, good for a 5% increase over 2013 and the 3rd best result ever.
76,799 EVs have been sold so far in the US this year, which is a 28% improvement over the 60,012 sold at this point in 2013.
Going forward, the monthly comparables remaining from last year would seem to be ‘easy beats’ – look for the overall percentage improvement to steadily increase and up somewhere close to 40%; especially with the BMW i3, Mercedes Benz B-Class ED, VW e-Golf and Kia soul EV all adding to the 2014 numbers.
Of special note for August:
- Nissan set a new all-time world record for most BEVs sold in a month with 3,186 sold in the US for August
- BMW destroyed their previous best effort (363) with 1,025 i3s moved during the month
- Both the Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR set a new year-highs with 2,511 and 196 cars sold (full story here)
- After 19 consecutive months of sell ‘100-and-something’ Focus Electrics, Ford managed to sell 264 copies this month – its best result ever
- The Toyota RAV4 EV sales improved by 335% this month to set a new year high (by a long shot) at 228 copies
- The BMW i8 launched, and sold 9 PHEVs in its debut month
Also: Historical monthly results, as well as a breakdown for each vehicle’s monthly sales, can be found on our Monthly Plug-In Scorecard
Some Other Points Of Interest For August 2014:
Top Manufacturers Of Plug-In Vehicles:
- Nissan – 3,186
- General motors – 2,787
- Ford – 2,536
- BMW – 1,050
- Toyota – 1,046
New All-Time Highs:
- Nissan LEAF – 3,186 (3,117 – May 2014)
- BMW i3 – 1,050 (363 – July 2014)
- Ford Focus Electric – 264 (198 – July 2014)
- Cadillac ELR – 196 (188 – July 2014)
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class ED – 51 (4 – July 2014)
- BMW i8 – 9 (first month)