BMW i3 Super Bowl Commercial Ups i3 Traffic On Edmunds.com By 583%
Mercedes-Benz and BMW saw the most significant spikes in traffic on Edmunds.com after their ads ran during Super Bowl XLIX.
By the end of the game, the Mercedes-Benz AMG GT had the biggest cumulative spike in traffic, with a 2189% jump over previous Sunday averages on Edmunds.com. The BMW i3 captured the second most buzz on Edmunds.com; its cumulative traffic climbed 583%.
*Editor’s Note: This post appears on BMWBLOG. Check it out here.
“Even though these two advertised vehicles are likely to be sold in small volume to niche audiences, the BMW and Mercedes brands will enjoy the overall buzz they have generated, especially as both continue their efforts to grow their overall reach into new car shopper segments,” said Edmunds.com Sr. Analyst Jessica Caldwell. “Both brands will be quite happy that the millions of dollars they invested had the desired effect.”
Vehicles With Largest Cumulative Traffic Increases on Edmunds.com
During Super Bowl
Cumulative Lifts in Site Traffic to Super Bowl Advertisers’ Pages*
*Lifts determined by comparing unique mobile and desktop traffic on Edmunds.com’s make and model pages against average Sunday traffic levels.
Edmunds.com also tracked the immediate traffic lifts enjoyed by Super Bowl advertisers as and after their commercials ran:
- Chevrolet sponsored the pre-game show and showed four Colorado ads; site traffic to Colorado pages increased 25% during the pregame and 1104% during the first quarter of the game
- During the third quarter of the game, Dodge Challenger ads lifted its traffic on Edmunds 232%
- Fiat 500x increased 3981% in the moments following its second quarter ads; interest remained high in the third quarter, delivering a 986% lift for the vehicle
- Jeep Renegade was advertised in the third quarter of the game and traffic to its pages immediately increased 1031%; during fourth quarter the increase was 5720%
- Kia Sorento traffic increased 213% immediately following its third quarter ad
- Lexus NX’s second quarter ad generated an increase of 341%. The brand did even better immediately after its RC 350 ad ran in the third quarter, increasing vehicle’s page traffic on Edmunds 5702%. The RC continued to enjoy success in the fourth quarter with a 690% lift in traffic to its pages on Edmunds.com
- MINI sponsored an early part of the pre-game show and showed five ads; site traffic to MINI Cooper increased 48% during that period
- Nissan brand consideration increased 90% immediately following its second quarter ad
- In the moments following its halftime ad, Toyota Camry site traffic increased 364%
Edmunds.com analysts noted especially strong activity at halftime for vehicles that advertised earlier during the Super Bowl:
- Fiat 500x increased 14627%
- BMW i3 increased 1807%
- BMW i8 increased 501%
- Chevrolet Colorado increased 421%
- MINI Cooper increased 258%