Watch World’s First Production Diesel Plug-In Hybrid Come Off Volvo’s V60 Line (Video)
Volvo has said they will produce 1,000 V60 diesel plug-in hybrids for 2013, and 4,000-6,000 in model year 2014.
Now, in a video put out by the company, you can watch the very first car drive off the line, as well as watch the entire electrification process of the vehicle on Volvo’s Torslanda plant in Gothenburg. The entire 1,000 plug-in allotments for 2013 have already been sold out.
“We are first in the industry to integrate a plug-in hybrid in an established production flow together with other car models,” says Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President Research and Development at Volvo Car Corporation. “The integration in the standard production flow gives the plug-in hybrid buyer the possibility to choose in principle all options available for the standard V60.”
The $75,000-ish (£45000 and £50000) Volvo V60 gets up to 50 km (31 miles) of all electric range before the extended range diesel motor takes over.
A couple of examples of the integrated production flow:
- The electric motor along with its drive shafts is fitted on the same station as the final drive on the standard four-wheel drive models.
- The cooling system and the high voltage cables are assembled on the Pallet, which is used to assemble the car’s drive train and chassis parts.
- The battery pack is lifted in through the car’s tailgate short side forward. It is then spun a quarter of a turn in the passenger compartment – a manoeuvre that takes 60 seconds and carried out with less than 20 millimetres to spare.
“The 11.2 kWh lithium-type battery is the single most complex system in the car. The precision manoeuvre to get it in place is an excellent example of the state-of-the-art assembly process,” says Peter Mertens.
Unfortunately, no plans have been made to bring the V60 plug-in hybrid to the US.
- It’s Official: Volvo Cranks Up Production of V60 Plug-In Hybrid to Meet Swelling Demand
- Volvo V60 Plug-In Demand Increases, Company Looks To Double Production…Again
- Volvo Confirms 2014 US Re-Launch of V60; We Present a 2014 Volvo V60 Plug-In Hybrid First Drive Review
- Volvo V60 Plug-In Hybrid to Make US Debut at New York Auto Show