Volkswagen I.D. Concept Electric Car Revealed – Range Of 250-Plus Miles, Production In 2020 (w/video)
In typical Volkswagen fashion, the automaker has debuted a concept electric car, but this one is apparently bound for production.
The Volkswagen I.D. electric concept car has been revealed ahead of it hitting the stage at the 2016 Paris Motor Show.
Volkswagen says that I.D. will enter production in 2020, alongside a new Golf that’s coming that year.
I.D. boasts a 168-hp electric motor, but no other details were released in regards to powertrain or even battery size. What we do know is that Volkswagen is targeting a range of between 400 and 600 kilometers* (249-373 miles). That’s a big spread, but with 3-plus years until it launches, we figure the higher side of that spread will be the actual target. As always, NEDC is the assumed benchmark given the Paris debut, which would translate to about 185 to 275 miles of real-world/EPA rated range.
I.D is based on Volkswagen’s MEB “toolkit,” which eventually will underpin a whole bunch of electric VWs (up to 30 by 2025, if you believe what VW says).
There are no details on pricing at this time and we don’t expect this critical bit of info to be revealed for a couple of years. However, VW already says a fully automated version of I.D. will be available by 2025.
Yes, this is still very much a concept and VW’s press release on it comes off as a bit vague, yet over promising at the same time.
I.D. – THE WORLD PREMIERE
Sep 28, 2016
Paris Motor Show – Mondial de l’Automobile 2016
World premiere of the I.D. starts the countdown to a new era for Volkswagen
Volkswagen plans for the visionary I.D. to hit the road in 2020
An ambassador: the I.D. is the first Volkswagen of a new fleet of electric cars
It runs and runs: the I.D. has a range of 400 to 600 kilometres
Ready for the future: the I.D. concept car demonstrates a fully automated mode for the year 2025
Key facts – the I.D. in keywords
1. I.D. is the first Volkswagen in a completely new fleet of highly innovative electric vehicles.
2. I.D. is immediately recognisable as a zero-emission vehicle thanks to a newly developed design DNA for electric cars.
3. I.D. is driven by an electric motor with an output of 125 kW and has a range of between 400 and 600 kilometres on a single battery charge.
4. I.D. has an interior that offers an entirely new spatial experience with the Open Space.
5. I.D. will be launched as a compact electric car in 2020 parallel to the Golf.
6. As a concept car, I.D. gives us a first tangible glimpse of fully automated driving – this mode will be offered from 2025 onwards.
7. I.D. retracts its multifunction steering wheel into the dashpad when in fully automated mode (“I.D. Pilot”).
8. I.D. can receive parcels using a new delivery service, if its owner isn’t at home.
9. I.D. is the first compact Volkswagen based on the Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB).
10. Volkswagen has set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025.
VW I.D. video below:
- Elon Musk’s Leaked Email Explains Views on UAW, Working Hours
- Report: All-Electric Honda Clarity To Have Just 80 Miles Of Range, Priced Around $35,000
- 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Cranks Out 680 HP, Features 14.1 kWh Battery
- Elon Musk: There’s a ‘good chance’ Tesla Model 3 will be most Made In America car