Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid Sales in Europe Now at 4,417 Units; Worldwide Sales Exceed 31,100
Unfortunately for us, most automakers are rather slow in releasing sales figures for its vehicles sold on the other side of the Atlantic. Some don’t even provide model-by-model European sales data. Luckily, Toyota is not in that later group.
Toyota Motor Europe just released is 2013 first quarter sales results, including figures for the Prius Plug-In Hybrid, so now we know how it’s faring in Europe.
First, some overall hybrid sales data from Toyota/Lexus. Toyota says that in quarter 1 of 2013, Toyota/Lexus hybrid sales checked in at 38,673 unit, up 82.3% from Q1 of 2012. Furthermore, Toyota/Lexus hybrids accounted for 20% of automaker’s total sales in Europe in Q1 2013. These figures don’t provide us with specific plug-in related sales, but here are those results (remember, Toyota’s only plug-in offered in Europe is the cord-loving Prius):
- The Prius family sold 9,166 units in Q1
- 4,039 were the classic Prius
- 3,715 were the Prius +
- 1,412 were the Prius Plug-In Hybrid
Okay, here are a few more Prius Plug-In Hybrid specific results:
- Worldwide sales of the Prius Plug-In now exceed 31,100 units
- Since launching in Summer 2012 in Europe, sales hit 4,417 units as of the end of March 2013
- Cumulative US sales (launch date March 2012) of the Prius Plug-In Hybrid checked in at 15,103 as of the end of March 2013
And that’s all she wrote. Well, almost. If you’d like to see how the Prius Plug-In Hybrid stacks up against the plug-in competition on the global level, then check out our “World’s Most Comprehensive 2012 Global Plug-In Vehicle Sales List.”