Rob Llewellyn Takes A Spin In The Nissan LEAF Nismo RC (w/video)
The host of Fully Charged, which is a web-based video magazine, Robert Llewellyn recently took a drive in a Nissan LEAF Nismo RC. And because we basically love every Robert puts out, we thought we would pass the clip along.
It is not everyday you get to hear what an EV with no sound deadening…sounds like.
Some basics on Nissan’s racing LEAF:
- same basic construction as the LEAF
- 24 kWh lithium battery pack
- 107 hp
- 210 lb-ft of torque (which is based off the 2011 LEAF motor, new 2013’s are rated at 187 lb-ft)
- 2,068 pounds; which is about 40 percent less than the current LEAF in production
- 0-60 comes up in around 6.5 seconds
- top speed: 93 mph
- dimensions compared to the production LEAF: 3.9″ shorter wheelbase, 14″ lower in height, 2.5″ ride height
- two-door carbon-fiber body
- 18-inch, 225/40-18 Bridgestone racing tires
- drive time in racing conditions: about 20-25 minutes, which range under normal conditions is around 100 miles
Obviously, racing conditions are not the best scenario for electric cars, as high speeds and the need for frequent acceleration draws a lot of juice from fairly limited batteries. Still, in the Nissan LEAF Nismo RC’s first competitive outing at the Sportsland Sugo Circuit in Japan last year, it placed second, while completing a 31 mile course.
Video of the Nismo LEAFs first “race” below: