Production of Kia Soul EV to Begin in April – Sales to Follow Immediately in South Korea
Kia Motors has confirmed that production of its first-ever mass-produced electric vehicle will begin in South Korea next month.
Sales of the Soul EV will commence immediately in South Korea.
Soon, Kia will start shipping the Soul EV to Europe and to the US.
The official on-sale date for the US in Q3 of 2014.:
“The Soul EV will initially be sold in California and Oregon in the West and several Eastern states including New York, New Jersey and Maryland, the regions with the largest EV markets and infrastructure. KMA will look to offer the vehicle in other markets in the near future as infrastructure and demand grow. Pricing for the Soul EV will be announced closer to the vehicle’s launch.”
Additionally, Kia has announced a sales target for 2014. The figure is 5,000 sales globally, which is actually rather high considering that it enters production in the 4th month of the year and that it won’t even be available in the US until near the end of the year.
Hyundai affiliate Kia Motors said it will start building a battery-powered version of its Soul compact in Korea next month. The car will be Hyundai-Kia’s first battery-powered EV export, with destinations including the United States and Europe.
Kia provided a price for the Soul EV in South Korea:
- 42 million won
- Or ~ 21 million won after government subsidies
Or $19,698 USD.
Lastly, Kia announced what we assume to be a finalized range figure for South Korea of 92 miles per 100% charge.
Here are some additional details on the Soul EV:
- 109 HP
- 210 Pound-feet of torque
- 27 kWh lithium polymer battery pack
- Target range of 80 to 100 miles according to Kia
- Recharge in under 5 hours on 240 volt (via 6.6 kW on-board charger) or 80% in 33 minutes via 50 kW CHAdeMO quick charge
- 0 to 62 MPH in less than 12 seconds
- Top speed of 90 MPH
- Projection type headlamps
- LED positioning lamps
- LED rear combination lamps
- Aerodynamically shaped 16-inch alloy wheels.
- Class-leading battery cell energy density of 200 Wh/kg ensures driving range of up to 200km
- Innovative application of Nickel-rich high capacity cathode material
- Henrik Fisker Teases New Butterfly Door Electric Car
- Atieva Becomes Lucid Motors, Releases Images Of Upcoming 300 Mile EV
- Tesla Model X Drives And Parks Itself With New Full Self-Driving Hardware Enabled – Video
- All Tesla Vehicles In Production Are Now Equipped With Full Self-Driving Hardware, Model 3 Will Be Too