Official Range Calculator For Opel Ampera-E Shows Impact Of Temperature, HVAC Usage
Opel has released an on-line range calculator for its new Ampera-e electric car, and the numbers show the impact of temperature, heating/cooling and wind/aggressive driving on how far you can travel.
Naturally, the results from the Opel range simulator should be approximately 1:1 with its sister Chevrolet Bolt EV.
Range results are as follows:
- Temperature (HVAC OFF / ON)
- -20°C: 432 km / 242 km (268 miles/150 miles)
- -10°C: 439 km / 256 km (273 miles/159 miles)
- 0°C: 473 km / 316 km (293 miles/197 miles)
- 10°C: 512 km / 412 km (318 miles/256 miles)
- 20°C: 527 km / 472 km (327 miles/293 miles)
- 30°C: 515 km / 422 km (320 miles/252 miles)
- 40°C: 502 km / 368 km (312 miles/229 miles)
Between the highest result of 527 km (~327 miles) at 20°C and the lowest at 432 km (~269 miles) at -20°C we see some 18% range drop.
While, the use of heating at -20°C would eat 54% of range to 242 km (~150 miles), and that’s not end as there could be also stronger wind or other factors.
The very worst case scenario is -20°C and into the wind/aggressive driving, which decreases range to 253 km (157 miles) / 210 km (130 miles) depending on heating OFF/ ON. That’s up to around 60% less than normal.
Try the calculator here.