New Toyota Prius Plug-In (AKA Prius Prime) Now On Sale In UK
Toyota Prius Prime has finally arrived in the UK, locally called the new Toyota Prius Plug-In (as it is in most parts of the world not name the United States).
It is available in two trim levels, and available for order now, with deliveries scheduled for March 1:
- Business Edition Plus (£34,895 / ≈$43,702 on the road price)
- Excel (£37,095 on the road price)
In UK there is also a £2,500 plug-in car grant available on the car.
The Toyota Prius Prime is based on the general Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), which is shared with the traditional full hybrid version.
With an 8.8 kWh lithium-ion battery, it doubles the original Prius Plug-In’s range to 25 miles (40 km) EPA, or up to 30 miles (48 km) according to Toyota’s press release in Europe…bonus 5 miles on paper!
Like in case of other models, Toyota offers a five-year/100,000-mile warranty for the Prius Plug-In.
- 8.8 kWh li-ion battery for 25 miles (40 km) of EPA all-electric range and 640 miles total range
- top speed of 84 mph (135 km/h)
- 3.3 kW on-board charger enables full charge in just over 2 hours
THE NEW TOYOTA PRIUS PLUG-IN
- All-new model capable of more than 30 miles in electric EV mode, a class-leading distance and double the driving range of its predecessor
- High-specification model developed on the same Toyota New Global Architecture platform as the standard, full hybrid Prius
- Performance improved by Toyota’s first Dual Motor EV Drive system and a larger, higher capacity lithium-ion hybrid battery
- Battery charging speed increased by 65 per cent – two hours for a full charge
- Available in the UK in two grades – Business Edition Plus and Excel
- Toyota Safety Sense active safety systems featured as standard, plus Toyota Touch 2 with Go infotainment and navigation, colour head-up display, auto-dimming, auto-retracting door mirrors, heated front seats and world-first gas-injection heat pump air conditioning
- Optional solar roof provides additional power source to extend the EV driving range – a world first
- Prius Plug-in eligible for UK Government plug-in car grant of £2,500 towards the purchase price of a new vehicle
- On-the-road prices £34,895 for Business Edition Plus, £37,095 for Excel
- Available to order now, deliveries from 1 March
- Full launch press information, images and video footage available to view and download on the Toyota UK media website here.
Toyota was the first to bring a plug-in hybrid vehicle to the market with the original Prius Plug-in. Now it has moved the technology forward in a second generation model which can cover double the distance – more than 30 miles – and achieve much higher speeds in all-electric, emissions-free driving.
New Prius Plug-in is built on the same Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform as the standard, full hybrid Prius. Combined with specifically tuned suspension, this delivers much-improved handling dynamics and a more enjoyable and rewarding drive.
Prius Plug-in also benefits from a number of new technologies that increase efficiency, performance and practicality, significantly enhancing the model’s all-round appeal. Its technological breakthroughs include a Dual Motor EV drive system and a Battery Warming system, plus two world firsts: an EV range-extending solar roof and gas-injection heat pump air conditioning.
Dual Motor Drive System
Prius Plug-in is equipped with Toyota’s first hybrid powertrain to feature a Dual Motor Drive System, increasing EV power by around 83 per cent. A highly compact, one-way gear within the transaxle enables the hybrid system generator to act as a second electric motor. This boosts EV driving power, giving better acceleration, more engaging performance and a higher maximum EV speed of 84mph.
Improved lithium-ion battery
The large-capacity lithium-ion battery, located under the rear load space, is fundamental to new Prius Plug-in’s increased EV driving range. Its capacity has been doubled from 4.4 to 8.8kW/h, yet its volume has only increased by two thirds – from 87 to 145 litres.
During charging, a new battery warming system will bring the cells up to an efficient working temperature, even when external temperatures drop as low as -20°C. This ensures battery power and efficiency are maintained at a sufficient level to minimise the impact of cold weather on the EV driving range, with full power available from start-off.
Faster battery charging
The increase in maximum power from 2.0 to 3.3kW means the battery can be fully charged up to 65 per cent more quickly – in two hours when using the Type II Mode III Mennekes connector, or three hours 10 minutes using a standard household plug socket.
Gas-injection heat pump air conditioning
A new gas-injection heat pump powers the air conditioning, a world-first technology that contributes to Prius Plug-in’s greater efficiency. It can heat the cabin without starting the engine, even when outside temperatures are at -10°C, minimising the impact on fuel consumption and EV driving range.
World-first EV range-extending solar panel roof
Developing a technology first seen on the Toyota Auris HSD concept in 2010, the roof can be fitted with a large solar panel to generate electricity to charge the hybrid battery. When the vehicle is parked (but not plugged in to a charging socket), the solar roof charges an intermediate solar battery. When this is fully charged, it will deliver a pumping charge to the main hybrid battery.
Prius Plug-in’s striking, highly aerodynamic design builds on the classic Prius profile with dedicated styling elements that evoke the car’s advanced technologies. The daytime running lights and LED turn indicators are set vertically at the extreme edge of the front wings, while in profile Prius Plug-in is distinguished by its longer rear overhang, lower cowl and rear spoiler heights and model-specific, two-tone 15-inch alloy wheels, designed to provide extra brake cooling.
At the rear the cross-sectional shape of the “double-bubble” rear screen is carried into the curve of the rear spoiler. LED rear light clusters are integrated in the extremities of the spoiler and are another feature unique to Prius Plug-in.
In the cabin a revised layout provides two rear seats separated by a console unit, maximising space and comfort for passengers. The front seat design and clean, structural arrangement of the dashboard are shared with the standard Prius.
The instrumentation includes a large, eight-inch infotainment screen with updated graphics and dual 4.2-inch TFT screens with PHV-specific displays.
UK model range and pricing
The new Prius Plug-in is available in the UK in two specifications – Business Edition Plus and Excel.
Toyota Safety Sense will be standard on both versions, including the Pre-Collision System with pedestrian detection, Lane Departure Alert with steering control, Adaptive Cruise Control and Road Sign Assist. Additional safety features include a Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Comfort and convenience items include dual-zone automatic air conditioning, rear passenger footwell heating and Smart Entry and Start.
The Business Edition Plus specification includes the Toyota Touch 2 with Go touchscreen multimedia and navigation system, heated, auto-dimming door mirrors with an automatic retracting function, rear view camera, dusk-sensing LED headlights, colour head-up display, Bluetooth, six-speaker audio with DAB reception and heated front seats.
The solar roof system can be specified as an option for the Business Edition Plus model.
Excel models extend the specification with rain-sensing wipers, Simple Intelligent Park Assist and front and rear parking sensors, a 10-speaker JBL premium audio system, voice recognition control for the Toyota Touch 2 multimedia and navigation system and leather upholstery.
The new Prius Plug-in has on-the-road prices of £34,895 for the Business Edition Plus model (£36,395 with the solar roof option) and £37,095 for the Excel. Customers buying a new Prius Plug-in can take advantage of the UK Government’s plug-in car grant, which provides £2,500 towards the vehicle purchase cost..
In common with all new Toyota vehicles, Prius Plug-in is protected by a five-year/100,000-mile warranty.
- Plug-In Vehicle Sales In UK Exceed 2% Market Share In July!
- Tesla Lends Gadget Man Model S 100D For 4-Day, 1,200-Mile Journey To Prove A Point
- Toyota Teams With Mazda To Build Vehicles In U.S., Work On EV Technologies
- Heathrow Airport Adds Nissan LEAFs, Intends Fleet To Go All Electric By 2020 – Video