Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Enters Production – Job #1 Rolls Off The Line
Mercedes-Benz has announced that production of its B-Class Electric Drive is now officially underway at its Rastatt factory in Germany.
The US will be first up for B-Class Electric Drive sales. Per Mercedes-Benz:
“…B-Class ED will be available starting summer 2014 at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in select states — CA, CT, MD, OR, NJ, NY, RI and VT — and then nationwide in early 2015.”
Later on down the road (end of 2014), B-Class Electric Drive sales will commence in Germany and select European markets.
Sometime next year, Mercedes-Benz will begin making right-hand-drive versions of the B-Class ED.
Of note is that Mercedes-Benz still insists that the B-Class ED has an estimated range of 124 miles. However, no EPA rating is available at this time, so we’re sticking with our guess of approximately 90 miles of range.
Basic B Class ED specs:
- 0 to 62 mph in 7.9 seconds
- 28 kWh battery pack
- Range ~ 90 miles
- 177 hp
- 250 pound feet of torque
- Top speed 100 mph
- Curb weight 3,858 pounds
- 10 kW charging capability
- Price tag “in the low $40s”
- Volkswagen: 186-Mile* e-Golf Will Launch End Of This Year Or Early Next
- Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017
- Tesla Q1 Earnings: 500k EVs Built In 2018, 100,000+ Model 3s in 2017
- April EV Sales Notch 6th Record Month In Row For US As BMW Gets Back In The Game