ClipperCreek And Itron Introduce CS-40-SG2, A Not Dumb Charging Station
ClipperCreek announced the launch of a new charging product, CS-40-SG2, which is designed for smart grid applications.
This charging station was developed in partnership with Itron, which was responsible for an embedded revenue grade sub-meter and a variety of smart grid communications options.
“The CS-40-SG2 is a game changer in the charging station sub-metering industry. This first of a kind charging station includes an embedded revenue grade sub-meter and a variety of smart grid communications options. Built on the trusted ClipperCreek CS-Series charging platform and Itron’s proven utility meter and powerful communications technology, this solution will extend a utility’s energy management intelligence directly to the charging station through multiple wireless communication interfaces.”
Starting this month, first units of CS-40-SG2 will be installed in pilot projects and utilities will get to control electric vehicle charging directly through their smart grid.
Jason France, ClipperCreek’s President stated:
“As electric vehicle charging increases power use across the country, utilities will need a solution that allows them to monitor and control the timing without inconveniencing the customer. The CS-40-SG2 enables critical functions needed to directly regulate electric vehicle charging cost effectively.”
Prices remain unknown, but here is key features list.
Key Features of the Itron enabled CS-40-SG2:
1. ZigBee Smart Energy Protocol 1.1 Demand Response/Load Control capabilities.
2. Itron revenue-grade embedded sub-meter for precise power measurement.
3. Meter data recording, including interval data, registers, and tampers.
4. Wi-Fi local access communications provides charging status, metering data, and Utility DR program information to nearby browser-enabled mobile devices.
5. Wi-Fi or Cellular as WAN communications for backhauling charging station and metering data including ESPI Green Button data