BRD Changes Name, Becomes Alta Motors
On Friday, BRD announced it’s changing its name to Alta Motors. Here’s where BRD kind of explain its name-changing decision:
BRD was never a great external name. It had important internal meaning to us but for a lot of reasons, we always communicated it to the outside world as either “a secret” or meaningless. It was awkward.
We’ve found a name that fits us well, will be featured prominently at the top of the column in the yellow pages, and carries a lot of meaning to us: Alta. Alta California was also the name of our territory, sitting on top of Baja California. Alta also means other stuff we really like and it looks right on our bikes. So now we are Alta.
Well, there you have it. Though we’re not quite sure what BRD is referring to as its “secret meaning” of BRD, (and we kind of thought “BRD Redshift” was awesome), nor are we sure about what Alta means, even though we looked and looked. From Wikipedia we got all sorts of interesting references, including:
- Alta (dye), a red paste used by women in India, to paint the borders of the feet
- Alta (poet) (Alta Gerrey, born 1942), poet and prose writer from Oakland, California
- Alta (novel), a 2004 fantasy novel by Mercedes Lackey
- Alta (vehicles), a Greek manufacturer of cars, light trucks and motorcycles
- Alta Bike Share, a provider of bicycle sharing systems in the United States and Australia
- Alta Car and Engineering Company, an English automobile and a Formula One racing manufacturer
- Alta Group Newspapers, a defunct newspaper publisher in the northeastern United States
- Alta Newspaper Group, a newspaper publisher in Western Canada and Quebec
- Alta Records, Dallas, Texas
- Amur Leopard and Tiger Alliance, an initiative to conserve the Amur leopard and Amur tiger
…but the most interesting was from a baby names source:
The name Alta is a baby girl name.
The name Alta is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Alta is: Lofty.
The name Alta is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Alta is: Lofty.
The name Alta is a Spanish baby name. In Spanish the meaning of the name Alta is: High. Abbreviation of Altagracia – a reference to the high grace of Jesus’ mother Mary.
SoulUrge Number: 2 -People with this name have a deep inner desire for love and companionship, and want to work with others to achieve peace and harmony.
Expression Number: 7 – People with this name are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy.
Uh, yeah. OK. Well, at least
BRD Alta is keeping the most awesome domain name ever, right? www.faster-faster.com? Oh. OK. Nevermind.
Whatever. Rock on dudes. Just don’t let anything get in the way of getting me my bike, OK? And yeah, it’s still called the RedShift, thank goodness.