BREAKING: BMW i3 BEV Gets Official EPA Rating – Range 81 Miles, 124 MPGe Combined
After waiting and waiting and then waiting some more, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has finally issued the finalized, official figures for the BMW i3 BEV, but not the BMW i3 REx yet.
How does the BMW i3 stack up against the plug-in vehicle competition?
Here first is a look at the existing “Top Ten EPA-Rated Fuel Sippers of 2014” –
Where does the BMW i3 slot in? Or, more appropriately, where does the pure electric version of the BMW i3 fall on the list?
The EPA numbers for the BEV BMW i3 are as follows:
138 MPGe City
111 MPGe Highway
124 MPGe Combined
So, returning to our question of “where does the electric version of the BMW i3 fall on the EPA’s Top 10 list?” How’s this look for a revised list:
- 2014 BMW i3 BEV 124 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Chevy Spark EV – 119 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Honda Fit EV – 118 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Fiat 500e – 116 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Nissan LEAF – 114 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Smart Fortwo ED Cabriolet – 107 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Smart Fortwo ED Coupe – 107 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Ford Focus Electric – 104 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Tesla Model S 60-kWh – 95 MPGe Combined
- 2014 Tesla Model S 85-kWh – 89 MPGe Combined
So, the BMW i3 BEV is the efficiency champ, but what really matter is what’s its range rating? Well, it’s close to what we all expected. Not exceptional, but not bad given its 22 kWh (18.8 kWh useable) battery pack:
81 miles of electric range
And that’s that. The BMW i3 BEV, with official EPA ratings, can now be sold to buyers in the US. We expect first sales to occur immediately, possibly by late today or sometime tomorrow.
Hat tip to Manny Antunes!!!
- Electric GT Unveils Tesla Model S P100D Capable Of Hitting 60 MPH In Just 2 Seconds
- Who’s Buying The Chevrolet Bolt? Video Interview With Chevy Product Strategy Manager
- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle & Portland Seek Record-Breaking Order Of 24,000 EVs
- “Stripped Down” Tesla Model S P100D With Ludicrous + Could Blow Away Faraday Future FF 91, Says Elon Musk