Audi A3 e-tron – Detailed Specs
Green Car Congress released this month a very interesting presentation of the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, which is now entering the U.S. market.
Filip Brabec, Director, Product Management, Audi of America said that the expected fuel economy stands at 83 to 86 MPGe combined (35 to 39 mpg gasoline only) with EPA range of about 16-17 miles.
European plug-in hybrids don’t typically have long all-electric range, because the battery is usually under 10 kWh (8.8 kW in A3 e-tron). All-electric mode is also available up to 80 mph, but can be interrupted with strong acceleration at lower speeds.
Pricing starts at $34,657 after destination charge and $4,168 tax credit is deducted. (MSRP 37,900 +$925 dst)
- 16-17 miles all-electric range (EPA) up to 80 mph
- fuel economy 83 to 86 MPGe combined (35 to 39 mpg gasoline only)
- 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds
- top speed 130 mph
- FWD parallel hybrid – a modified petrol engine 1.4 TFSI 110 kW (150 hp) and 250 N·m (184 lb-ft) of torque; a six-speed S tronic transmission integrated with a 75 kW, 330 N·m (243 lb-ft) liquid-cooled, permanent magnet-driven electric motor
- system output – 204 hp (152 kW) and 258 lb-ft (350 N·m) of torque
- 8.8 kWh liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery (packaged beneath the rear seat)
- 240-volt charging in about 2 hours and 15 minutes
Battery pack spec:
- 8.8 kWh
- 280 – 390 V depending on state of charge
- 96 prismatic cells from Sanyo (part of the Panasonic)
- eight modules of twelve cells each
- total battery system weighs 125 kilograms (275.6 lb)
Energy denisty of the pack isn’t high at some 70 Wh/kg, but the 8.8 kWh pack for the plug-in hybrid Audi used high-power cells to be able deliver high peak power of 75 kW.
“The high-voltage battery has an ideal operating temperature of around 25 ˚C (77 ˚F). It therefore has a liquid cooling system in which four cooling plates regulate the temperature of the eight modules. Cooling is by means of a separate, flexibly controlled low-temperature loop, which also includes the power electronics and charger, as necessary. The Audi A3 Sportback e-tron can generally also be driven solely on electric power in the heat of mid-summer and the below-freezing temperatures of winter.”
To find out more, please go directly to the Green Car Congress detailed presentation.
Source: Green Car Congress